Welcome to the Panda Book Awards
Join the conversation. Post pictures and activities of your panda book awards projects on the Panda Book Awards social media and share the fun. #pandabookawards
READ some good books
SHARE your thoughts
NETWORK with students from participating schools
VOTE for your favorite.
What is the Panda Book Award?
The Panda Book Award initiative invites students and teachers from participating international schools in China and beyond to vote for their favorite book published in the previous two years. The Panda Book Steering Committee, which includes an international representation of school librarians, is responsible for collecting input from schools, advertising the initiative, and organizing the voting.
There are four separate title lists according to age level:
- Young Readers (4 to 6 years) – picture books - Elementary School
- Middle Readers (7 to 10 years) – chapter books - Elementary School
- Older Readers (11 to 14 years) – Middle School
- Mature Readers (15 to 18 years) – High School
The panda was chosen as the program’s mascot as it holds a special place in the hearts of the Chinese people and is a symbol of peace and a token of forging friendly ties. The Panda Book Award reading program promises to take our students on an exciting reading adventure. Classroom teachers, language arts teachers, and librarians are encouraged to distribute the reading lists to their students and to incorporate them into their daily teaching.
The Panda Award yearly timeline
December - January : nominating titles for next year
- Each participating school nominates lists of titles. These lists are discussed by the Panda Book Steering Committee who will take into consideration individual schools’ requests.
- The Steering Committee will decide on the final lists and make these public by mid March. This gives participating schools time to order multiple copies of the titles to arrive over the summer.
July – August :
- Schools may promote the titles through a summer reading program.
September – Chinese New Year: activities in schools culminating in voting
- Schools organize reading promotion activities and plan. Promotional materials (flyers, posters, bookmarks) are created yearly and available for download.
- The Panda Book Steering Committee organizes the student and teacher voting sessions to be done during a period of three weeks after the Chinese New Year holiday.
After the voting : and the winners are....
- The Steering Committee meets to count votes and confirm the winners of the Panda Book Awards.
- Winning authors are contacted as soon as possible and are sent their Panda Award Winner scroll.